The Hon Sandy Macdonald has been appointed a Member of the Order of Australia in the 2021 Australia Day Honours. Sandy was at College 1972-73 and studied Law. He was a wool and beef farmer before entering politics and was member of the Australian Senate from 1993 to 1998, and again from 2000 to 2008, representing the state of New South Wales for the National Party. The citation for Sandy’s honour is:
The Honourable John Alexander (Sandy) Macdonald
Member of the Order of Australia for significant service to the people and Parliament of Australia, and to public administration.
His achievements recognised include:
Parliament of Australia
- Senator for New South Wales, 2001-2008, 1993-1998.
- Deputy Leader of the Nationals in the Senate, 2005-2007.
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Defence, 2006-2007.
- Parliamentary Secretary for Trade, 2005-2006.
Parliamentary Committee Positions
- Chair, Senate Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade Committee, 2000-2005, 1997-1999.
- Chair, Senate Standing Committee on Scrutiny of Bills, 1996-1999.
National Party of Australia
- Former Member, Central Council.
- Member, since 1978.
- Defence Housing Australia
- Chairman, since 2015.
- Director, 2008-2015.
- Director, Incremental Oil and Gas Ltd, 2008-2014
- ANZAC Centenary Advisory Board, 2011-2014.
- Wool and Beef Producer, Quirindi NSW, since 1980.