Charles Victor Salisbury (1901-1987), in College 1921-27, Fellow 1951-87. Benefactor on several occasions throughout his lifetime and in his will.
As a new Fellow on the College Council in the 1950s Charles pushed for work to be done on the grounds of the College. Some 800 trees were planted. “Salisbury’s commitment to Paul’s showed itself in unending, effervescent, even-handed kindness plus a serious sense of purpose” (Atkinson, p.385).
The completion of the Cloisters in 1983 in sandstone was the result of Salisbury’s financial contribution and his family coat of arms is finely carved into one of the decorative shields (3rd from the left in the photo).
The Salisbury, that most famous of college bars in Sydney, is located under the kitchen and dining hall in the space once occupied by the hot water boilers. This was largely funded by Charles’s estate given through the St Paul’s College Foundation with additional funds the gift of Robert Albert. Today Charles’s name lives on in the daily talk of Paulines, current and old, as the times together in “The Sals” are a central plank of the ‘lore’ of the College.
Pictured above: Dr Charles Salisbury and Revd Peter Bennie after the completion of the Cloisters in 1983